From the Czech Republic


Territorial access to other EU countries

Artists with Czech citizenship only need a valid identity card to travel to another EU country and to stay there. Some EU Member States, however, require that persons register with the relevant authorities if the duration of their stay and employment exceeds three months (see below).

Access to the market of other EU countries for self-employed persons and employees

The access to the market of other Member States within the EU single market is ensured by the freedom of establishment and services and the freedom of movement for workers (TFEU).

The cross-border activities of self-employed persons are governed by the freedom of services (Art. 57 of TFEU), which should not be confused with the freedom of establishment and the freedom of movement for workers (Art. 45 of TFEU). The freedom of services is defined as the right to provide services in another Member State. For this purpose, a self-employed person may perform work in another Member State and a company may post [1] its employees to carry out some work temporarily in another Member State. The right to post employees temporarily is restricted if the company employs third-country nationals, who do not necessarily enjoy the same freedoms as EU citizens.  It may, for example, be necessary to arrange a visa for an employee who is subject to visa requirements in the Member State to which he/she is posted.

Information on stay within the EU can be found on the website of the European Commission, which also lists the national contact points and European information centres in all EU languages. 

Simplified conditions apply in the Member States of the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein), and in Switzerland with regard to their partnership with the EU.

Norway is part of the Schengen area. There is no registration requirement for stays of up to three months. For a stay longer than three months you need to register with the relevant state administration authority. Norway requires that a jobseeker without a job register himself or herself with the police as a jobseeker within three months after arrival. The same approach applies in Iceland and Liechtenstein. For a repeated stay in Liechtenstein exceeding the duration of six months within one year (two times three months interrupted for at least one month) or for the performance of gainful activities there it is necessary to apply for a visa/residence permit at the Swiss Embassy in Prague.

In Switzerland, it is possible to stay temporarily without a residence permit for a maximum of three months without having to register anywhere. If, however, a Czech citizen intends to stay in Switzerland for more than three months or to carry out gainful activities in Switzerland, he/she is obliged to apply for a residence permit with the relevant cantonal Migration Office in Switzerland.

[1] Currently, the most burning issue concerning posted employees is the issue of wage top-ups to the level of the countries to which the employees are posted. This issue does not, however, fall within the scope of this chapter.