In this section you will find basic information on the types of insurance that those working in the world of art are advised to take out. Information on compulsory social security insurance and health insurance please is provided in a separate chapter.

Almost all types of insurance and supplementary insurance are voluntary, with exceptions required by law (such as motor third-party liability insurance), so it is entirely up to you to choose what insurance to take out. Insurance has to be approached individually, as each type of activity has its own specificities and there is no single universal package of insurance products that could be recommended to all. Self-employed persons generally face different insurance issues than employees. As regards liability insurance, for instance, it is necessary to distinguish general liability (for entrepreneurs) from employee liability (laid down in the Labour Code).

Artists often start solving problems only after some damage occurs or at the moment a foreign partner requests a proof of insurance.


A Czech dance group has been invited to stage a performance in Belgium. The Belgian organiser requests a proof of insurance with coverage of EUR 300,000, which the group does not have.

  • The group can take out either an annual insurance policy or a short-term policy specifically for this event.
  • The cost of premiums should always be taken into consideration before starting to negotiate the remuneration for a performance.

Artists and organisers have to decide (ideally sufficiently in advance) what risks they want to be insured against. They can choose, for example, insurance related to the artist's work performance, liability insurance for the organiser, and most likely also insurance of property against various types of damage, including damage incurred during transport, as well as travel insurance, accident insurance, health insurance, and liability insurance.

By default, insurance policies are valid in the Czech Republic, but their validity can be extended to the whole of Europe or even worldwide. The territorial scope is determined when the insurance policy is being negotiated or amended.

It is not easy to understand the offer of insurance companies, so we recommend using the help of an independent broker with experience in insurance for the cultural sector – the consultation will be professional and free of charge for the insured.

Basic insurance offer

For artists

  • Accident insurance
  • Life insurance
  • Travel and luggage insurance
  • Kidnap and ransom insurance
  • Lost profit insurance
  • Sickness insurance
  • Health insurance for foreigners
  • Legal expenses insurance
  • Vehicle insurance
  • Property insurance
  • Liability insurance
  • Musical instruments insurance
  • Art insurance

For organisers

  • Liability insurance
  • Property insurance
  • Consignment transport insurance
  • Event cancellation insurance
  • Ticket cancellation insurance
  • Personal insurance (overlaps with insurance of persons)
  • Vehicle insurance
  • Terrorism insurance